WBCS Exam Pattern:
Public Service Commission is one of the most prestigious jobs that most students vie for. The West Bengal Civil Services exam or WBCS is most sought after by students from the state. The WBCS is conducted by the West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC). The WBSC exam pattern is released by the WBPSC on its website for the ease of preparation by the candidates.
Here are the details of the WBCS exam pattern:
Date of start of registration: 5th November 2019
Last date to submit completed application: 25th November 2019
Date of preliminary exam: 9th February 2020
- The candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college/ university.
- The candidate must be able to speak, read and write Bengali. For those whose mother tongue is Nepali, fluency in Bengali is not required.
- Age: The candidate must not be below 21 years of age and must not exceed 32 years as on 1st January of the year of the examination.
- The age relaxation is as follows:
- SC/ ST: 5 years
- OBC: 3 years
- PwD: Age relaxation is up to 45 years.
- The candidate must be a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal/ Bhutan/ Tibetan refugee/ the candidate must be of Indian origin who has migrated to Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
WBCS exam pattern:
- The WBCS exam is held in 4 stages. These include:
- Preliminary examination
- Main examination
- Personality test
- Medical fitness test
- The exam comprises of multiple choice objective questions.
- The exam will consist of 200 questions.
- Each question will carry a weightage of 1 mark.
- The duration of the exam is 2 ½ hours.
- The exam will have questions on the following topics:
English Composition 25
General Science 25
Current events of National & International Importance 25
History of India 25
Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal 25
Indian Polity and Economy 25
Indian National Movement 25
General Mental Ability 25
- The main examination is a convention pen and paper test.
- The exam consists of 6 compulsory papers and 1 optional subject as chosen by the candidate.
- The optional subject will have 2 papers.
- Each paper of the main exam will have a weightage of 200 marks each.
- The duration of each paper will be 3 hours.
6 compulsory papers are as follows:
|I||Bengali or Hindi or Urdu or Nepali or Santali||200|
|IV||General Studies –II||200|
|V||Constitution of India and Indian Economy||200|
|VI||Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning||200|
For any further details or queries regarding the WBCS exam pattern check the website https://www.pscwbonline.gov.in/ .