TOEFL Exam Pattern:
The Test of English as a Foreign Language, popularly known as the TOEFL is one of the most popular English proficiency exams. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) conducts the TOEFL exam. The TOEFL exam pattern will help candidates to prepare for the exam methodically.
The TOEFL exam is conducted in 2 modes, these include the following:
- Internet based (iBT)
- Paper delivered test
Where internet is not available easily, the paper delivered test is conducted for interested candidates.
The TOEFL exam comprises of 4 sections which includes the following:
TOEFL exam pattern:
- The total duration of the exam is 3 hours/ 180 minutes.
- The total duration of this section is 1 hour/ 60 minutes.
- The candidate will be given 3 – 4 reading passages based on which questions will be asked.
- The candidate will be given raw points which will be converted to a scale of 30.
- The reading exam consists of multiple choice objective questions
- Each question will be given 1 mark each.
- The candidate is given 6 lectures and 2 – 3 audio clips.
- The candidate has to answer questions based on the audio clips and lectures.
- The candidates will be given a score of raw points which will be scored on a scale of 0 to 30.
- The questions are multiple choice objective type.
- Each question is for 1 mark each.
- The total duration of the exam is 20 minutes.
- The candidate is given 6 tasks where the candidate has to complete the speaking task.
- The duration of this section is 50 minutes.
- The candidate is given 2 tasks, which includes the following:
- Task 1 requires the candidate to write an integrated essay of around 300 words in 20 minutes.
- Task 2 requires the candidate to write an independent essay of around 300 words in 30 minutes.
- The candidate will be scored on a scale of 0 to 5.
|Section||Number of Questions||Tasks|
|Reading Duration – 54–72 minutes||Questions: 30–40 questions||Reading 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answering questions.|
|Listening Duration – 41-57 minutes||Questions: 28-38||Expressing an opinion on a familiar topic; speaking based on reading and listening tasks.|
|10 minutes BREAK|
|Speaking Duration – 17 minutes||Questions: 4 tasks||Writing essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; supporting an opinion in writing.|
|Writing Duration – 50 minutes||Questions: 2 tasks||Candidates need to write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks, along with supporting the opinion in writing.|
|Total duration = About 3 hours|
For any further details regarding TOEFL exam pattern check the website at https://www.ets.org/toefl/test-takers/ibt/about/content .