TOEFL Exam Pattern:
The TOEFL exam is mandatory for all those wanting to pursue academics and career abroad to English speaking countries. The Test of English as a Foreign Language or TOEFL is a language proficiency test that the aspirant must appear for if he wants to migrate or study abroad. TOEFL is conducted in 2 types. These include TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT. The TOEFL exam pattern helps candidates prepare for the exam systematically.
The TOEFL exam is conducted in 2 distinct types. These include the following:
- TOEFL iBT (TOEFL internet based test)
- TOEFL PBT (TOEFL paper based test)
The TOEFL exam pattern is as follows:
- The TOEFL exam is conducted as per the choice of the candidates. In areas where the internet can be easily accessed the TOEFL iBT is conducted, whereas areas where internet is not available a paper based test is conducted.
- The TOEFL exam consists of 4 sections which include Reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- The reading section consists of 3 to 4 passages.
- Each passage is followed by a set of questions that are based on the passage that the candidate must answer.
- The sections consists of a total of 36 to 56 questions.
- The duration of the reading test is 60 to 80 minutes.
- The range of score that a candidate can secure is 0 to 30.
- The listening section consists of audio recordings of conversations, academic discussions and class lectures.
- The section will have questions that will be based on these audio recordings that the candidate must answer.
- The total number of questions asked is 34 to 51.
- The duration of the listening test is 60 to 90 minutes.
- The score range of the test is 0 to 30.
- Based on the reading and the listening task, the candidate will be asked to speak on a topic.
- The section consists of 3 sections with 2 questions each.
- The total number of tasks is 6.
- The duration of the speaking test is 20 minutes.
- The score range of the speaking test is from 0 to 30.
- Based on the reading and listening tasks, the writing section requires the candidate to write an essay.
- The candidate is expected to express his opinion in writing.
- The total number of tasks is 2.
- The duration of the test is 50 minutes.
- The score range is 0 to 30.
|Section||Order||Time||# of Questions||Details|
|Reading||1||60-80 mins||36-56 questions||Read 3-4 passages and answer questions|
|Listening||2||60-90 mins||34-51 questions||Listen to 4-6 lectures and 2-3 conversations and answer questions|
|Speaking||4||20 mins||6 tasks||Answer prompts about familiar topics, campus situations, and academic course content|
|Writing||5||50 mins||2 tasks||Compare a passage and a lecture; write about your opinion|
|TOTAL||—||About 4 hrs||—||—|
For any further details or queries regarding TOEFL exam pattern check the website at www.ets.org .