TOEFL Exam Pattern:
Test of English as a foreign language, popularly referred to as TOEFL is one of the most popular English proficiency test for those seeking admission in foreign universities. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is conducted by the Educational Testing Services (ETS). The TOEFL assesses the candidate’s proficiency in the English language. The TOEFL exam pattern will help candidates prepare for the exam in a systematic manner.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is held in two formats. This includes the following:
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-based Test)
- TOEFL PBT (Paper-based Test): This is available in locations that do not have Internet. The exam does not have the TOEFL Speaking Test.
The TOEFL exam consists of four sections, Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
|Reading||Questions: 30–40 questions Duration: 54–72 minutes||Reading 3 or 4 passages from the academic texts and answering questions based on them.|
|Listening||Questions: 28-38 Duration: 41-57 minutes||Listening to lectures, conversations, classroom discussions, and, then answer questions based on them.|
|Break: 10 minutes|
|Speaking||Questions: 4 tasks Duration: 17 minutes||Candidates need to express their opinion on a topic familiar to them and speak based on reading and listening tasks.|
|Writing||Questions: 2 tasks Duration: 50 minutes||Candidates need to write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks, along with supporting the opinion in writing.|
- The candidate is required to read 3-5 passages and answer 12-14 questions on each passage.
- This section is marked on the basis of the number of correct reading and comprehension responses.
- The type of questions asked are 10 each based on 3 to 4 passages.
- The total no. of questions asked are 40.
- The duration of the exam is 54-72 minutes
- The candidate will hear short conversations and long conversations.
- Short conversation: The candidate will be asked 1 question with multiple choices of answers.
- Long conversations: The candidate will be asked multiple questions based on the conversation.
- Question type:
- 3 to 4 lectures of duration 3 to 5 minutes with about 500-800 words will be played. 6 questions from each lecture will be asked totaling to about 30 questions.
- 2 to 3 conversations of duration 3 minutes and about 12-25 exchanges will be played. 5 questions each will be asked totaling to about 12 questions in all.
- The total number of questions asked is more than 40.
- The duration of the test is 41 to 57 minutes.
- The candidate will be given a few tasks minor mistakes or lapses.
- Candidate must pick the mistakes and will be graded accordingly.
- The tasks are as follows:
- 1 independent task will be given with a preparation time of 15 seconds and response time of 45 seconds.
- 3 integrated tasks will be given on reading/ listening/ speaking with a preparation time of 30 seconds and response time of 60 seconds.
- The total number of questions asked are 4.
- The duration of the test is 17 minutes.
- The candidate must write an essay based on the topic given.
- The tasks given includes the following:
- 1 integrated task will be given that includes reading/ listening/ writing for 20 minutes. A reading time of 3 minutes/ listening time of 2 minutes and a writing time of 15 minutes will be given.
- 1 independent task of 30 minutes will be given.
- The total number of questions asked is 2.
- The duration of the test is 50 minutes.
For any further details regarding TOEFL exam pattern check the website at https://www.ets.org/toefl .