A passport is one of the most important documents that a person possesses. Passport is one of the most reliable sources of identification. If you wish to fly overseas, you cannot go without a passport. The Indian passport is issued to every citizen who wishes to travel. It helps you will be able to prove who you are and where you are from. As the checking of the airport related to travel has been increased it is almost impossible to travel without a passport. Even if you do not wish to go abroad anytime soon, you still should have a passport ready beforehand so that you can pick up and go in a pinch.
Passport is treated as proof of citizenship and nationality. It is a widely accepted official proof of one’s identity, address and age. The passport shall be renewed before the expiry of it. The passport is generally valid for ten (10) years. You can check the expiry date of your passport on your passport itself. The expiry date on the passport is denoted by the term “final” often written as “f” after the expiration date. As per the rules of the authority, the passport shall be renewed not before one year before the expiration date. Even if you do not have any plan regarding going abroad, even then you should renew your passport as it is useful for multiple reasons as mentioned above.
The process of renewal of passport is simple, quick and hassle-free. It is to be noted that when a passport is renewed that is your old passport will be cancelled and will be given back to you, you will then receive a new passport after the renewal. If you have a passport which is valid for 20 years and you wish to renew that passport then you must know that you do not have to apply for the renewal of the passport instead apply for a new passport.
Online passport renewal procedure is as follows.
- The person applying for the renewal of passport shall have an account on the official website namely passport website. The applicant is required to register on this website.
- If the applicant has already registered with the website then he will be just required to log in on passport Seva site.
Else, if the applicant is not an existing user, he is required to register.
- After successfully registering and logging in the applicant is required to select the nearest passport office from his existing address.
- After that, the applicant is required to enter personal details such as name, date of birth etc.
- Next, the applicant is required to create a login id and password.
- On creating the password and login id the applicant will receive an email from the department.
- The applicant then is required to activate the account using the link in the email.
- Sign in in the passport account. After signing in, the applicant is needed to click on ‘apply for fresh passport or re-issue of a passport’ as the case may be.
- The user will have to fill out the application after that. It shall be noted that the application shall be filled with true information. Carefully check the application and submit it along with all the required documents. The required documents are as follows.
a) Your original old passport.
b) A self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages of your passport.
c) A self-attested copy of the ECR or the Non-ECR page.
d) A self-attested copy of the page of observation.
e) A self-attested copy of the validity extension page.
f) Also, proof of the documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of short validity passport (SVP).
- Book a slot and schedule the interview according to the time that is convenient.