Places to Visit in Somnath:
Located in the Saurashtra region of the state of Gujarat, Somnath is a place of utmost historical and religious importance for the country. It is known for being the first among the twelve Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva. Repeatedly destroyed by Muslim invaders, seventeen to be precise, the Somnath temple has arisen like a Phoenix from the ashes every time. The places to visit in Somnath add to its glamour as a much sought after tourist destination.
Here is a list of the places to visit in Somnath:
- Somnath Temple: The mythical Somnath Temple is the most important place to visit in Somnath. The temple is believed to have been made in gold, silver and wood by the Moon, Sun god and Lord Krishna respectively. The temple was built in stone by the Solanki rulers in the 11th century and was finally reconstructed by the Government in 1951. The Somnath Temple is known for its expansive riches and grandeur.
- Suraj Mandir: Located near Triveni Ghat, the Suraj mandir is dedicated to the Surya Dev. The temple bears an image of Surya with his seven horses along with iconography of Shiva and Parvati, Vishnu and Lakshmi and Brahma and Saraswati.
- Lakshmi Narayan Mandir: Situated on the banks of the Triveni Tirth and constructed by Raja Sahil Verma , the mandir is known for its intricate carvings on the 18 pillars and each carries a message of Lord Krishna.
- Dehotsarg Teerth: Corroborated by the Vishnu Puran, Mahabharat and the Shrimad Bhagwat, the teerth is is the place from where Lord Krishna proceeded to Neejdham and attained divinity.
- Panch Pandav Gufa: Dedicated to the five pandava brothers of Yudhishtir, Arjun, Bheem, Nakul and Sahdev who spent their time in exile here, the cave has many shrines dedicated to various Hindu Gods and deities.
- Other places include Shree Parshuram Temple, Junagarh Gate, Gita Mandir, Bhidbhanjan Mahadev Temple and many others.
The places to visit in Somnath will take you on a trip of spiritual awakening and bring you closer to your roots.