Places to Visit in Shillong:
Among the seven sisters of the North East, stands out the state of Meghalaya with its pristine natural beauty, the young and rugged Himalayas and the rivers meandering through the landscape. The places to visit in Shillong will leave you invigorated.
Here is a list of places to visit in Shillong:
- Umiam Lake: Located in the east Khasi Hills, the lake is also known as Badapani. The lake is a manmade wonder that offers many water adventure activities like kayaking, boating, water cycling and much more.
- Shillong Peak: The Shillong peak is situated at an elevation of 6449 ft and gives the most beautiful view of the entire city of Shillong.
- Elephant Caves: Natural beauty abounds in Shillong and it is visible clearly in the beautiful three tier Elephant waterfalls. The waterfall was so named by the British owing to the presence of a huge rock next to the water falls resembling an elephant. The rock has long disappeared due to an earthquake that hit the rgion long back but the waterfall remains.
- Air Force Museum: Located at the 7th Mile Headquarters Eastern Air Command, the Air Force Museum houses several missiles, rockets, badges, miniature aircrafts and much more. A valid ID proof is required to enter the museum.
- Mawphlang Sacred Forest: Trees that are as old as a thousand years, the Mawphlang Scared Forest is a must visit if you love nature.
- Other places to visit include the All Saints Cathedral, Lady Hydari Park, Don Bosco Museum, Mary Help for Christian Cathedral, Phan Nonglait Park, Sweet Falls, Sohpetbneng Peak, David Scott Trail and many others.
Known as the abode of clouds, Shillong leaves you mesmerized with its azure lakes, well-manicured gardens and the milky waterfalls. The places to visit in Shillong not only enthrall you with its natural beauty but also leave you captivated with its distinct culture and people.