Places to Visit in Rameshwaram:
The southernmost tip of the Indian Peninsula, Rameswaram not only holds geographical significance but historical value as well. Located in the state of Tamil Nadu on the Pamban Island separated from the Indian mainland by the Pamban Channel, Rameswaram has numerous places of interest. The places to visit in Rameswaram holds mythological, religious and historical importance in Indian culture.
Here is a list of places to visit in Rameswaram:
Placed firmly in the Gulf of Mannar between India and Sri Lanka, Rameswaram is a must visit for any traveler. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Rama built a bridge with the Monkey king Hanuman’s help across the sea to rescue Sita from the clutches of Ravana.
- Sri Ramnathaswamy Temple: An architectural splendor built in true Dravidian style, the temple is known for its collection of Lingas made of stone, salt, sand and other elements.
- Kothandaramaswamy Temple: The temple is part of the mythological lore of the Ramayana. It is said to be residing place of the younger brother of Ravana, Vibishana.
- The Five Faced Hanuman Temple: Carved out of a large Senthooram stone, the Hanuman temple carries the five manifestations of Lord Hanuman. According to lore, the temple houses the stones used to make a bridge to Lanka to rescue Sita.
- Lakshmana Tirtham: Situated close to the Ramnathaswamy Temple, the Lakshmana Tirtham is a serene place of spiritual sanctity. It houses a temple dedicated to Lord Ram’s younger brother Lakshmana and a pond as well.
- Villoondi Tirtham: A place that holds immense importance for Hindus, the Villoondi Tirtham is believed to be very sacred. It was here that Lord Rama had dipped his bow in the water to get for Sita when she was thirsty.
- Other places include Agnee Tirtham, Ariyaman beach, Dhanuskodi beach, Ram Setu or Adam’s bridge, Annai Indira Gandhi Road Bridge and many others.
The places to visit in Rameshwaram are unique in their own space. They hold spiritual, mythological, religious and natural importance in every Indian’s heart.