Places to Visit in Gangtok:
One of the cleanest states in the country of India, Sikkim offers unparalleled natural beauty. The alpine and the subtropical climate give it a varied flora and fauna that is particular to the state. Buddhist influence and culture give it a distinctive identity. Gangtok is the capital of the smallest state of India. The places to visit in Gangtok offer the visitor a view of the culture and traditions of the state along with its diverse flora and fauna.
Here is a list of the places to visit in Gangtok:
- Rumtek Monastery: One of the most significant seats of Buddhist culture, The Rumtek Monastery belongs to the Kagyu sect of Buddhist followers. The structure and style of the monastery closely resembles the monastery located in Tsurphu Tibet.
- Tsomgo Lake: The glistening jewel amidst the tall Himalayas, the water of the Tsomgo lake shines like diamonds as the rays of the Sun gently touches its surface. The lake is a must visit if you are in Gangtok.
- Nathula Pass: The ancient books talk of the highest traverseable pass between India and Tibet, Nathu-La. Situated at an altitude of 14,450 ft the pass is the highest motorable roads in the world. A visit to the Nathu-La pass requires special permit.
- Hanuman Tok: An ancient Hanuman temple located at an altitude of 7500 ft offers the grandest view of the Kanchenjunga peak. The view leaves you mesmerized with its beauty.
- Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve: Sikkim has a distinct flora and fauna courtesy its alpine and subtropical climate. The Biosphere Reserve offers a view of the beautiful flora including the huge varieties of orchids and the wildlife which includes the Himalayan Tahr, musk deer, snow leopards, and many others.
- Other places include Namchi, Tashi Viewpoint, Singhik Viewpoint, Do Drul Chorten Stupa, Tsuk La Khang Monastery, and several others.
Gangtok is a tourist’s paradise and provides visitors with multiethnic and multilingual culture. The places to visit in Gangtok are witness to this biodiversity.