Places to Visit in Agra:
If you love traveling and have never heard of Agra then you need to rediscover yourself. We travel for the love of seeking new places for their historical importance, architectural beauty and the impact that it has on the lives of millions living around these places. The city of Agra is a must-visit place on any travelers map. Known for the eighth wonder of the world, The Taj Mahal, Agra is definitely a lot more. The places to visit in Agra abound and give you a sneak peek into the history of India.
Here is a list of places to visit in India:
- Taj Mahal: There is nothing comparable to the beauty of the Taj Mahal. It has rightly been described as poetry written in stone. Constructed to commemorate the love of the Mughal ruler Shah Jahan for his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, the Taj Mahal has a zillion stories to tell. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Taj Mahal is not only to be seen but experienced.
- Agra Fort: The Agra Fort is a domineering façade in red sandstone that is an example of Mughal architectural brilliance. The Agra Fort houses the Jahangir Palace, Khas Mahal and others.
- Fatehpur Sikri: Built-in 1570 by the Mughal emperor Akbar, Fatehpur Sikri is a brilliant blend of Persian, Islamic and Indian architecture. It comprises the Panch Mahal, Birbal’s house, Buland Darwaza, Jami Masjid and another monument of historical importance. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Itmad-Ud-Daulah: Built by Jahangir in memory of Mirza Ghiyas, the Itmad-ud-daulah is the first tomb to be made out of marble entirely.
- Akbar’s Tomb at Sikandra: The Mughal emperor Akbar started the construction of his tomb as per Persian customs and was completed by Jahangir. Made of a deep red variety of sandstone unique to the tomb, it has a marble top.
- Other places include the Moti Masjid, Sikandra Fort, Jodha Bai ka Rauza, Mehtab Bagh and many others.
Places to visit Agra might be aplenty but the visit to the city is incomplete if you don’t visit the very monuments that give it a distinct identity.