Places To Visit in Diu:
Spread in a small area of 40 sq. km lies the beautiful coastal town of Diu. A part of the Union territory of Dadar, Diu and Nagar Haveli, Diu is embedded in history. Formed during the rule of Chandragupta Maurya, Diu also carries with it the strong influence of its Portuguese colonizers. Some beautiful places to visit in Diu include the fortress, cathedral and distinct architecture, Diu is a typically small sleepy town.
Here is a list of places to visit Diu:
- Diu Fort: The fort is the tallest building in the nondescript skyline of Diu. Built-in 1935, the Diu Fort is a must-visit if you are in Diu. It watches over the sea from the hillock as if waiting for its people to come back safely.
- St. Paul’s Church: The oldest church that still serves religious purposes was built in 1610 and carries a rich Portuguese influence.
- The Church of St Francis of Assisi: This church was built in 1593 by the Portuguese and has now been converted into a hospital.
- St Thomas church: The church is part of the 3 Portuguese Baroque churches and now serves as a museum.
- Lord Shiva temple: This ancient temple lies serenely on the Gangeswar coast.
- Naida caves: These caves remain a mystery as the origins are unknown. The labyrinthine structure plays hide and seek with the sunlight making it a must-visit for tourists.
- Other places to visit in Diu include Ghogla Beach, Jallandhar Beach, Gomtimata Beach, Panikota Fort, shell museum, sunset point, Chakratirtha Beach, zampa gateway and many others.
These places to visit in Diu offer a glimpse into its pristine beauty that has not been disturbed as yet.
- Khukri memorial: Situated on the INS Khukri, the memorial has a fantastic amphitheater and gives the most spectacular shots of the setting sun.
- Nagoa Beach: The beach offers some great water sports facilities like jet skiing, parasailing and others. The lighthouse at the Nagoa beach is a major tourist attraction.