Best Places to Visit in Vadodara:
Vadodara or Baroda as it was called earlier is an industrial city that is fast emerging as an educational and cultural hub in India. The city boasts of many industries related to petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, IT, engineering, chemicals, plastics, foreign exchange, and others. The city is steeped in history and offers many places worth visiting. The best places to visit in Vadodara are aplenty and offer the visitor a chance to explore and understand the city.
Here is a list of the best places to visit in Vadodara:
- Makarpura Palace: The palace has a distinct Italian influence and was built as a summer palace for the Gaekwads in 1870. It is now run by the Indian Air Force as a training school.
- Champaner – Pavagadh Archaeological Park: The ancient ruins have given it the distinction of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The park has archaeological remains of the Hindu as well as Islamic rulers.
- Vadodara Museum and Gallery: The museum transports you backto the centuries when the Gaekwads ruled the city. The museum has a huge range of artefacts and art collected over the years by Maharaja Sayyajirao III.
- Sursagar Lake: This manmade splendor is a must visit if you are in Vadodara. Established in 18th century, the lake ensures that you enjoy a relaxed outing with family and friends.
- Laxmi Vilas Palace: The most visited place in vadaodara, the Laxmi Vilas Palace is the abode of the Gaekwad rulers. A treasure house of art and artefacts, the palace is a must visit if you are in Vadodara.
- Kabirvad: The dohas of Kabir can be faintly heard floating in the slight breeze at Kabirvad, which is believed to be where sant Kabir resided. The aged banyan stands witness to his teachings even now.
- Other places include Kirti Mandir, nyaya mandir, Sri Aurobindo Ashram and numerous others.
The best places to visit in Vadodara are difficult to be listed in a small article. But to experience the city you have to visit it first hand and uncover it petal by petal.