Best Places to Visit in Surat:
One of the largest cities in the country, Surat is known as the city for diamond cutting and polishing. A hub for jewelry, Surat is also known for its many textile industries. A bustling metropolis, Surat is one of the fast growing industrial cities in India. If you are visiting the city then the best places to visit Surat will help you explore the city from a new perspective.
Here is a list of the best places to visit in Surat:
- Surat Castle: Known as the Old Fort, the Surat castle was built in the 16th century on the banks of river Tapi against the Portuguese attack.
- Mughal Sarai: An iconic example of Islamic architecture, The Mughal Sarai with its domes and arches is a must visit. The Sarai was ideally built for travelers headed to Mecca for Haj, built in the 17th century by the Mughal emperor Shahjahan.
- Dutch Garden: A Dutch cemetery built for the Dutch and British, the Dutch garden is a must visit. The tomb of Baron Adrian Van Reede along with others and the beautifully manicured garden offer a respite from the hectic city life.
- Tomb of Khudawand Khan: Built to commemorate the governor of Surat, the tomb of Khudawand Khan depicts the best in Islamic architecture. The tomb is surrounded by Chakla Bazaar which is a must visit for some heavy shopping.
- Sarthana National Park: The flora and fauna of the state of Gujarat can be experienced at its majestic best in the Sarthana National Park. Home to some very unique plantations and various endangered species, Sarthana is a delight.
- Sardar Patel Museum: The museum is home to the rich cultural heritage of the city of Surat. From rare maps to other exhibits, the museum gives you a peek into the histry of the city.
- The Science Center: The center houses a planetarium, amphitheater, science museum and an art gallery for all the science aficionados.
- Ambika Niketan Mandir: Dedicated to Goddess Ambika, the temple is a must visit in Surat.
- Iskon Mandir: Devoted to the love of and for Lord Krishna , the ISKON temple praises Krishna is all his glory.
- Chintamani Jain Mandir: Built during the reign of the Mughal ruler Aurangzeb, the Chintamani Jain mandir is an example of intricate Hindu architecture.
The best places to visit in Surat also include the Dumas beach, Dandi, Bardoli Village, Tithal beach, Ubharat beach, Hajira village, Tapi river waterfront and many others.