Best Places to Visit in Pondicherry:
The colonial architecture, the remnants of the erstwhile French colonizers, Pondicherry transports the travelers back to the old world charm. The city is an eclectic mix of the old Hindu dwellers and the French dominated areas known for their vibrant buildings and bungalows. The rugged beaches and the rough sea thumping against the rocks makes the most unusual music. The best place to visit in Pondicherry offer the visitor the best of both the worlds.
Here is a list of the best places to visit in Pondicherry:
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram: The ashram is the abode of the spiritual leader Sri Aurobindo. The grey façade of the ashram is adds to its spirituality and quietude. The ashram attracts innumerable visitors all year round.
- Plage Paradise: The cold sea breeze running freely over the golden sands is what the Paradise beach is all about.
- Promenade Beach: The rocky and jagged beach at the Promenade offer a beautiful view of the sea. The sound of the waves lashing against the rocks and the vastness of the ocean can be experienced from here.
- Cafes: This is difficult to zero in on. The colonial French cuisine offered at the numerous picturesque cafes are a delight both to sit and eat.
- Auroville: Based on the strong foundation of divine consciousness, peace, harmony and sustainable living, Auroville is a must visit place in Pondicherry.
- Arikamedu: The ruins of Arikamedu emphasize on the trade links India had with the Romans. The excavation sites and the artefacts are a delight to visit if you have a historical connect.
- Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus: Gothic architecture in this beautiful basilica make it a pleasure to visit.
- The Lighthouse: An iconic landmark of the city of Pondicherry, the lighthouse is a must-visit. The city has two lighthouses, the old and the new, though the former has been closed to visitors, the new lighthouse is a must-visit.
The best places to visit in Pondicherry are aplenty but the whole city just grows on you and just doesn’t want to leave the serene setting behind.