IRMS Exam Pattern:
The Indian Railway Management Services will come into effect from the year 2021 as decided by the Government of India. The IRMS exam will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). There will be 5 specialties which include 4 engineering specialties for the technical operations (civil/ mechanical/ telecom and electrical) and one for the non-technical operations (accounts, personnel, and traffic). The IRMS exam pattern will help a candidate prepare systematically for the exam.
Here are the details of the IRMS exam pattern:
The government of India has decided to merge all the 8 existing rail services into the IRMS. The IRMS exam pattern is likely to change in the year 2021. Till then the exam pattern remains the same and interested candidates have to appear for IES examination. As of now, the grade 1 officers are recruited through the Civil Services exam and the IES. The exam will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The exam will consist of 3 stages which includes the following:
- Preliminary exam
- Main exam
IRMS exam pattern:
- The IRMS/ IES exam is an offline pen and paper based examination.
- The preliminary exam consists of multiple choice objective questions.
- The prelim exam consists of 2 papers, wherein paper 1 is common for all the candidates appearing for the exam. While the paper 2 is the candidate’s choice of the engineering discipline of study which includes Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical and Electronics and Telecommunication.
|Papers||Number of Questions||Duration of Exam||Maximum Marks|
|Paper 1 (General Studies & Engineering Aptitude)||100||2 hours||200|
|Paper 2 (Engineering Discipline)||150||3 hours||300|
|Total||250 Questions||5 hours||600 marks|
- The main exam consists of 2 papers that are the candidate’s choice of the engineering specialization.
|IES Main Papers||Number of Questions||Duration of Exam||Maximum Marks|
|Paper 1 (Engineering Discipline)||5 out of 8 Optional Questions||3 hours||300|
|Paper 2 (Engineering Discipline)||5 out of 8 Optional Questions||3 hours||300|
|Total||10 Questions||6 hours||600 marks|
- The medium of the exam is English only.
- The marking scheme of the IRMS/ IES exam includes negative marking.
- The personal interview/ personality test is the final stage of the selection procedure for the IRMS/ IES exam.
- The total weightage of the interview is 200 marks.
For any further details regarding the IRMS exam pattern check the website https://www.upsc.gov.in/examinations/ .