Indian Foreign Service Exam Pattern:
The Indian Foreign Service comes under the ambit of Group A and Group B administrative services of the Government of India. It is a part of the executive branch of the central government. The Indian Foreign Services form the diplomatic arm of the government dealing with the matters of external affairs, diplomacy, cultural relations, and trade. The Indian Foreign Services exam pattern will help interested candidates prepare in a methodical manner.
The Civil Services examination is used as a blanket exam for recruitment to the Indian Foreign Services and other group A services.
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- The candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in any subject from a recognized university.
- The age limit for the candidate should be between 21 years to 30 years as on 1st August of the year of examination.
- Relaxation of age is as per the guidelines laid down by the government.
Number of attempts:
- General candidates: 7 attempts
- SC/ ST candidates: There is no restriction of the number of attempts.
- OBC candidates: 9 attempts
Indian Foreign Service exam pattern:
The Civil Service exam is conducted in 3 stages. These include the following:
- Preliminary exam
- Main exam
- Personality test
- The preliminary exam is a pen and paper based offline exam.
- The exam consists of multiple choice objective questions(MCQ).
- The candidate will be provided with an OMR sheet to mark the answers.
- The preliminary examination consists of 2 papers.
- The total weightage of the examination is 400 marks.
- The duration of the examination will be 2 hours or 120 minutes each.
- The preliminary exam is qualifying in nature.
- The medium of the exam is English or Hindi.
- The marking scheme is as follows:
- For Every Correct answer: +1 marks
- For Every Incorrect answer: – 1/3rd marks will be deducted
- The exam is a pen and paper based offline examination.
- The exam consists of essay type descriptive questions.
- The main exam consists of 6 papers.
- The total weightage of the examination is 1400 marks.
- The medium of the exam is English only.
|Paper I||General English||300 marks|
|Paper II||General Knowledge||300 marks|
|Paper III||Any 2 optional subjects Each subject will have 2 papers.||200 Marks|
|Paper IV||200 Marks|
|Paper V||200 Marks|
|Paper VI||200 Marks|
For any further queries regarding Indian Foreign Service exam pattern check the website at www.upsc.gov.in .