IELTS Exam Pattern:
The International English Language Testing System more popularly known as the IELTS exam is attempted by all those who are interested in studying or working abroad, where English is the language of communication. The IELTS exam is conducted by the British Council, IDP Education Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examination. The IELTS exam helps to assess the English language skills of a candidate with respect to reading, writing, speaking and listening. The IELTS exam pattern helps the candidates prepare meticulously for the IELTS exam.
Here are the details of the IELTS exam pattern:
There are 2 types of IELTS which include:
- Academic version: This is for all those candidates who aim to gain admission to foreign universities and medical professionals who want to immigrate abroad to English speaking countries.
- General Training version: This is for all those who aim to get work experience or any form of non-academic training.
IELTS Exam pattern:
- The IELTS exam is conducted both online as well as offline.
- The exam consists of 4 sections which include listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours 45 minutes/ 165 minutes.
- A band score conversion table is required to convert the scores into various bands to assess the grades of the IELTS exam.
|Section||Duration||IELTS Academic||No. of Questions per section|
|Listening||30 minutes||It encompasses four recorded monologues and conversations||4|
|Reading||60 minutes||Three long reading passages with tasks. Texts range from descriptive and factual to discursive, and analytical includes non-verbal material like diagrams, graphs, and illustrations texts are authentic (taken from books, journals, and newspapers)||40|
|Writing||60 minutes||A writing task of at least 150 words where the candidate must summarize, describe or explain table, graph, chart or diagram, and another short essay task of at least 250 words||2|
|Speaking||11 to 14 minutes||The face-to-face interview includes short questions, speaking at length about a familiar topic and a structured discussion||3|
- The IELTS exam pattern varies for reading and writing and the other two remain the same in both the academic and the general training versions.
|Total Marks (raw score IELTS 3 sections reading, writing, listening)||80|
|Number of Questions||2 (Academic writing)/ 2(General writing)+3 tasks(Speaking)+General reading(40 questions) / Academic reading( 40 questions)+ Listening (4 tasks)|
|Total Time||2 hours 45 minutes|
|No. of Sections||4|
|Marks per Sections||40|
|Time per Section||IELTS Listening- 30 minutes|
|IELTS Reading (general)- 60 minutes|
|IELTS Reading (academic) 60 minutes|
|IELTS writing (general )- 60 minutes|
|IELTS writing (academic)- 60 minutes|
|IELTS Speaking- 11 or 14 minutes|
|Questions per Section||IELTS writing : 2 (academic writing)|
|IELTS writing : 2(general writing)|
|IELTS Speaking: 3 tasks(speaking)|
|IELTS reading : general reading(40 questions)|
|IELTS reading : academic reading( 40 questions)|
|IELTS Listening : listening (4 tasks)|
|Marks per Question||1 mark per question for IELTS reading|
|Time per Question||Varies with the section|
|Marking Scheme||Varies with the section|
For any further details or queries regarding IELTS exam pattern check the website at www.ielts.org .