PAN card or permanent account number, is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income Tax Department of India under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes. Permanent Account Number or PAN Card is a nationalized identity card. Without a PAN, you will not be able to carry out any financial transaction in the country as all your financial transactions can only be processed if you have a PAN. All bank accounts and the Aadhaar identity card of an individual must be linked with PAN. The authority allocates the number to a tax-paying person, company or HUF.
The validity of a PAN is for a lifetime. The mobile number is not written on the PAN card. But the mobile number of the applicant is registered with authority. If you change your mobile number or you wish to register your mobile number with the authority then there are two ways by which you can change, update or correct your mobile number with the authority. There is an online process as well as an offline process. The process of changing, updating, correcting the mobile number is simple.
If you wish to change the mobile number online that is if you wish to go for paperless PAN card application for mobile number change then you may follow the steps below.
- Visit the official website of the Income-tax department
- Click on “Application type” and then select “PAN correction” from the drop-down menu.
- The applicant is required to fill in his or her details like name, date of birth, email id, mobile number, nationality and the captcha code and then click on “submit”.
- A token number will then be generated after submitting the information the token number will also be required for future reference. It will be displayed both on the screen and also will be sent to the registered email id. So kindly preserve it and don’t delete it.
- After the above steps provide the PAN number that needs to be corrected along with other details that have been asked. Click on ‘next’ after filling the details. The details will be updated in the income tax database.
- A page will appear where the member is required to upload documents like address proof, proof of identity and age.
- If the individual has mentioned his or her Aadhaar number then the scanned copy of the Aadhaar card along with relevant documents are necessary. If the Aadhaar is selected as a proof of identity or address proof then the Aadhaar number or the address proof must be provided.
- After filling all the details, the entire application will appear on the screen to check all the details. If you feel like changing any detail then change it and submit the application.
- The next step is to pay a fee of ₹107 by any one of the following options
- demand draft
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Net banking
If you wish to pay the fee by demand draft or cheque then it has to be paid in the favor of “NSDL-PAN”. If you wish to change your mobile number with the PAN authorities through an offline method that is you do not want to go paperless then you may follow the steps mentioned below.
- Download the PAN change request form for change in mobile number in can card and fill it.
- The form has to filled in black ink and in capital letters.
- Send the filled form along with the relevant documents to the nearest Pan center.
- Send the fee along with the envelope.