Aadhar card consists of a unique 12-digit number that is generated after scanning the person’s fingerprints and retina. The card can be attained only after the approval of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The Unique Identification Authority of India issues both Aadhaar number and Aadhaar card to the citizens of the country It provides several facilities online for those who own an Aadhaar card or Aadhar number. The online facilities are even provided to people who have applied for the Aadhar have applied for it and are waiting for the Aadhar card or Aadhar number. Adding your mobile number to Aadhar is very important.
Since, Government has asked to link Aadhar to all the crucial places like bank accounts, PAN card, and other documents. Adding or updating your Aadhar with your existing mobile number helps you to get updates about the online activity you do with your Aadhar in the form of text message. If you register your mobile number or update your mobile number then you can Check Aadhar card status, download e- Aadhar, Change Address or update your Aadhar. For all these activities you will receive OTP (one-time password) on your mobile number. In this way, you can keep a check on the activities of your Aadhar card.
The government has also recently asked all the Telecom companies to link their mobile number with their Aadhar card. It helps to reduce the fraudulent activities in the country. So, linking your Aadhar with your existing mobile number is as important as getting an Aadhar card for yourself from a safety point of view as well as security purposes. If you keep your old mobile number with you till now and your wish to change the mobile number in your Aadhar, then you can update your mobile number online. In such case, Follow the steps below to update your mobile number.
- Visit UIDAI Aadhar Self-Service portal
- A page with the title “Aadhar Self Service Update Portal” will open.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhar number.
- Now enter the Text Verification number (already shown on the page – also known as Captcha).
- Click on Send OTP.
- Click on the next page and there they will ask you to enter the OTP that was sent to your existing mobile number.
- After the OTP is sent, you a new will appear page asking for Details to be Updated.
- Under “Select fields to update” select the option you wish to change, in our case, it is a mobile number so select “Mobile Number”.
- Enter your Mobile Number you want to Update and click Submit and update. And your mobile number will be updated.
- Verify and Proceed and Note down the URN you will see or take a print out.
According to UIDAI official website, the issuer of 12-digit Aadhar number or unique identification number (UID), if you do not have your old mobile number then your mobile number cannot be updated online or by post. You once have to visit the Aadhar centre. But do not worry you can still update your number easily.
If you don’t keep the old number with you anymore, even then you can easily update your new number either by,
- If you have your previous registered mobile number then you can Update your mobile number through official website of UIDAI.
- Or, if you want to add your mobile number for the First time, you must visit once in Aadhar Centre. You can find your nearest Aadhar centre with the help of UIDAI official website.
The service of Updating Aadhar card with the mobile number through the post is no longer available you have to visit the centre at least once to update your mobile number.