A permanent account number is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income Tax Department of India under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). Permanent Account Number or PAN Card is a nationalized identity card. If an individual who is a citizen of our country does not have a PAN card, he will not be able to carry out any financial transaction as all the financial transactions in India are possible only when you have a PAN card registered in your name.
The government of India has made mandatory to link Aadhar card and the PAN card. If there is any mismatch in name, date of birth, or other personal details then it will lead to problems. Besides the mismatch of details of PAN and Aadhaar card, there can be other mistakes that an individual might want to get corrected, updated, or changed. If you wish to change the date of birth or name on the PAN card, you can fill an online form or an offline form to make the change, make an update or correct the previous data. The Change or Correction Request Form can be downloaded from the official website of NSDL or UTI Technology Services Limited. These websites are authorized for it.
If you wish to fill the form online then you may follow the steps below.
- Visit the official NSDL website or UTI Technology Services Limited as mentioned above.
- Scrolling to the bottom of the page until you see an option called ‘Select the Category of the Applicant’.
- Choose the category.
- Fill in all the required details on the form.
- Check the boxes beside the field to which you wish to make a change.
- You PAN Number will have to be entered, and if you wish to take the paperless route to apply for the date of birth, you can select ‘Yes’ on ‘paperless pan application’.
- After that, you will have to upload your photographs, documents, and signature online, for a change in address.
- if you wish to use the offline method to change the address in the PAN card, you shall select ‘No’ on the field ‘For Paperless PAN Application’.
- After completing the above procedure, you will get a PAN acknowledgment form that comes with a 16-digit Acknowledgement Number. Keep this number safe as this number is used for future purposes. Print this form.
- You are required to Attach two recent passport size photographs on the acknowledgment form. Sign the form in the space provided.
- After completing the above procedures, a cheque or demand draft will have to be enclosed along with the acknowledgment form along with the self-attested documents in an envelope. Do mention the acknowledgment number has been mentioned on the back of the cheque or demand draft.
- Write an ‘Application for PAN CHANGE REQUEST.
- Send the envelope by post to NDSL at Income Tax PAN Services Unit.
- It must reach the NSDL address with 15 days from the date on which you received the acknowledgment.
- Once the NSDL receives your application. NSDL will send it for processing and you will receive an email regarding the same on your registered email ID.
The other way to change the address in your PAN card is by offline means. Applying offline is also a simple procedure. You just need to follow the steps as mentioned below.
- Download the change date of birth form from online means.
- Fill it with your data.
- Physical forms along with the form have to be submitted to the NSDL TIN centers.
In order to find the nearest center, you can check on the official website of NSDL.