A passport is one of the most important documents or cards. Passport is one of the most reliable sources of identification. If you wish to fly overseas, you cannot go without a passport. It is important to have a passport if you plan to travel to a different country. It is almost impossible to travel without a passport. It certifies a person’s nationality. A standard passport contains the holder’s name, place and date of birth, photograph, signature, holder’s address and other important information. Since it can be treated as an official identity card, it is very important that your passport is up to date.
The details on passport shall not be outdated. It must contain the right details. If you recently changed your address or you wish to edit your address information that you gave for your passport then you can do so. As the government of India has provided with the steps and procedure on how one can update the address on the passport. There are as usual two ways on how one can change the address on a passport. Those two ways are mainly online and offline means.
If you wish to change, update, correct your passport online you may follow the steps below.
Firstly, you need to register Online. That can be done by-
- Log onto the Passport Seva website.
- If you are already registered, use “Existing User, Login” and enter your user ID and password and enter your account.
- If you are a first-time user then click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Choose a passport office nearest to you.
- Provide your personal details that include your name and date of birth.
- Create a login ID and password and register.
- An email will be sent to you with a link to activate your account.
- Once you click on this link, log in and click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”
- You can either download a PDF form and fill it up offline or fill in the form available online.
- Enter your details. Update the address as required. You will be required to provide two references, their full name, phone number, and address.
- Upload this document to the same page where you downloaded it from.
Lastly, verify all the information you have provided and click on “Submit”.
After submitting the form, you need to pay the fee and schedule an appointment.
It’s important to make the payment online before scheduling an appointment. The fee is nominal and the fee is not refundable. If you wish to check the status of your payment then you can click on “Track Payment Status”. If you have paid with a Challan, wait for 2 working days from when you deposit the money. Once the payment is successful, you can schedule your appointment.
After making the payment one needs to schedule an appointment. Select the passport office you prefer and the slot convenient to you and Confirm your appointment. While making the appointment one needs to carry all the important and required documents along with them.
List of important documents are –
- Original old Passport.
- Copy of your online application.
- Copy of payment receipt or challan receipt
- Self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages, copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page, copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority and a copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Address Proof
- Voter ID card
- Aadhaar Card
- Electricity bill
- Water Bill
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Telephone (Mobile, Landline)
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Spouse’s passport copy (which should be same)
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letterhead
- Photo Passbook of running Bank
If you wish to apply offline, you may follow the steps below.
- Visit your nearest Passport Seva Kendra office, one which has jurisdiction over your place of residence.
- Make an application for reissue and fill up the application form and submit the required documents.
- Pay the fees in cash.