PAN card or permanent account number, is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income Tax Department of India under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes. The authorities that accept and process the application forms are The UTI Investors Services Ltd (UTIISL) and National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL). It is Card is a national identity card. Financial transactions are not possible without a PAN. The authority allocates the number to a tax-paying person, company or HUF. It has lifetime validity.
Pan cardholders who wish to change their address on their PAN card can do so online as well as by offline means. It is a simple process. One has to download the Change Request Form from the official NSDL website and fill the form with the required details. It is to be noted that changes or corrections can be made to PAN cards only when the person or an individual has been already allotted a PAN Number. People who have applied for the PAN card and have not yet received the PAN card number are not eligible to make changes in the PAN card. As said before, the PAN card holder can edit, change, update, correct the holder’s address by offline and online means. If you wish to update the address by online means then you need to follow the following procedure.
- Visit the official NSDL website.
- Keep scrolling to the bottom of the page until you see an option called ‘Select the Category of the Applicant’.
- Choose the category (individual/partnership firm/association of persons/body of individual, etc.).
- Fill in all the required details on the form.
- Check the boxes beside the field to which you wish to make a change.
- You PAN Number will have to be entered, and if you wish to take the paperless route to apply for a change in address, you can select ‘Yes’ on ‘paperless pan application’.
- After that, you will have to upload your photographs, documents, and signature online, for a change in address.
- In case you wish to take the other or offline route to change the address in your PAN card then you can select ‘No’ on the field that says ‘For Paperless PAN Application’.
- You will receive a PAN acknowledgment form that comes with a 16-digit Acknowledgement Number print this form.
- Attach two recent passport size photographs in the space provided on the acknowledgment form and insert your signature.
- A cheque or demand draft(dd) will have to be enclosed along with the acknowledgment form, self-attested documents and related documents in an envelope. Do not forget to mention the acknowledgment number on the back of the cheque or demand draft.
- Write ‘Application for PAN CHANGE REQUEST – Acknowledgment Number’ as the heading on the envelope.
- Send the envelope by post to NDSL at Income Tax PAN Services Unit
- The envelope must reach the NSDL address with 15 days from the date on which you received the acknowledgment.
- Once the NSDL receives your application, it will send it for processing and you will receive an email regarding the same on your registered email ID.
The other way to change the address in your PAN card is by offline means. Applying offline is also a simple procedure. You just need to follow the steps as mentioned below.
- Download the change of address form from online means.
- Fill it with your data.
- Physical forms along with the form have to be submitted to the NSDL TIN centers.
In order to find the nearest center, you can check on the official website of NSDL.