Aadhar card consists of a unique 12-digit number that is generated after scanning the person’s fingerprints and retina. The card can be attained only after the approval of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It can act as the address proof, nationality proof, and also as photo identification process. Keeping your Aadhar card number is both important as well as useful. It is necessary to keep the Aadhar cards updated. In case there is a change in the address of the cardholder, he/she needs to update the same in the Aadhar card. Aadhar is considered as the sole identity card by the government of India. It becomes important to keep the Aadhar card up to date. In order to change/update/correct the Address, the UIDAI website, gives us two ways by which one can change/ correct the address.
A) Online method
Only those cardholders who have registered their valid mobile number and email id with Aadhaar will be able to update it online. It is important to register the number as the OTP will be sent on the registered number only. In order to change the details of your Aadhaar card online, follow these steps to update/change/correction.
1) Visit Aadhar’s self-service update portal (SSUP).
2) Read the instructions carefully and then click on the “Proceed” button.
3) Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
4) Enter the text verification code in the box and click on Send OTP or Enter OTP.
5) An OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered or registered email id in UIDAI’s database.
6) Enter this OTP to log in to your Aadhaar account.
7) Tick the Address option and click on the Submit button.
8) Enter your residential address mentioned in the Proof of Address (poa).
9) Click on the “Submit Update Request” button.
10) In case you want to modify your address, click the “Modify” option.
11) Now tick the declaration and click on the “Proceed” button.
12) Select the document type you want to submit as poa for verification.
13) Upload the scanned copy of the address proof and click on the “Submit” button.
14) Read the confirmation dialogue and then click on the “Yes” button.
15) Select the BPO service provider that will verify your details and click on Submit.
16) The BPO service provider will check that if the details that are mentioned on the form matches with the POA if it does then he forwards your request to UIDAI.
17) Your update request is then accepted and an Acknowledgement Slip is provided to you.
18) Acknowledgment Slip contains the Update Request number (URN).
Once updated, you can download the updated version. Print your Aadhaar card after that.
B) Visit an enrolment centre
If you wish to visit an Aadhaar Permanent Enrolment Centre, you can get both demographics that is the name, address, date of birth, gender, mobile, and email and biometrics that includes fingerprints, iris, and photograph updated.
For this one needs to carry original documents and relevant documents for updating at the enrolment centre. Original and relevant documents will be scanned and will be handed back to you after updating your address at the centre. For finding the enrolment centre one needs to check online or depend on word of mouth for finding the enrolment centre where you can update your address.
It is completely free. If you update your address online or update your Aadhar card online but in case you decide to update your address offline or your Aadhar card offline that is at enrolment center near you, there is a fee of Rs 25 will be charged each time you visit the center to update your Aadhar card.