The Graduate Record Examination Test is one of the most commonly accepted for admissions to various educational programs offered worldwide. It is one of the world’s largest assessment programs for admission to graduate, post graduate, and doctoral admissions. GRE is conducted by Educational Testing Service (ETS). The GRE exam pattern helps to prepare well for this mandatory test.
Here are the details of the GRE Exam Pattern:
The GRE test is held in two types of formats:
- GRE General Test: The test evaluates the following skills of a candidate:
- Analytical writing
- Quantitative ability
- Verbal reasoning skills
Candidates who are seeking admission to MS courses in diverse fields in the US and other countries must appear for GRE General Test. The exam is held around the year and can be given as per convenience of the candidate.
- GRE Subject Test: The GRE Subject Test assesses a candidates’ ability on a specific subject. These include the following:
- Literature (English)
- Biochemistry (Cell and Molecular Biology)
The GRE Subject test helps in getting admission to a specialized courses. The test is conducted thrice a year in April, September, and October and is available only in paper-delivered format.
- There is no specific criteria mentioned for GRE exam.
- Any candidate can register for the exam, irrespective of age or qualifications.
- The candidate is required to produce their original passport as proof of identity at the exam center.
- There is no age limit to appear for the GRE exam.
- Though there is no specified educational qualification required to appear for GRE, the candidates, however, must possess a graduate degree in any discipline from a recognized university.
GRE Exam Fee
- The application fee for the GRE General Test is $205 or 14,322/- worldwide.
- The application fee for the GRE Subject Test is $150 or 10,480/-worldwide.
- The candidate has the option to change the center or reschedule the test on payment of an extra fee.
GRE Computer based Test
The GRE question paper is divided into three sections:
- Analytical Writing
- Verbal Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
The total time given to complete the exam is 3 ½ hours / 210 mins.
GRE Paper based Test
The paper-based exam includes two sub-sections of each of the main categories-
- Analytical Writing (2 tasks with a duration of 1 hour)
- Verbal Reasoning ( 2 sections with a duration of 1 hour)
- Quantitative Reasoning (2 sections with a duration of 70 minutes)
The variable sections of Unscored and Research are not included in the paper-based exam. The total time given to complete the exam is 3 hours 40 minutes / 220 mins.
|No. of Sections||Duration||No. of Sections||Duration|
|Analytical Writing||2 sections- 2 tasks||60 minutes||1 section- two tasks||60 minutes|
|Verbal Reasoning||2 sections- 50 questions||70 minutes||2 section- 40 questions||60 minutes|
|Quantitative Reasoning||2 sections- 50 questions||80 minutes||2 section- 40 questions||70 minutes|
The GRE exam date can be scheduled online, through mail, through phone or fax. Online registration guarantees the fastest registration. It is important to keep in mind that you get the GRE scores before the college application deadline. The GRE scores are sent to the selected colleges and universities 10–15 days after the test date. The GRE test can be taken again after 21 days of the exam date, and up to five times in a calendar year. The GRE Exam pattern can be checked online www.ets.org/gre/ .