Easy And Affordable Main Dish:
When planning a meal, think appetizer, main course, and dessert, the three important segments. Appetizers set the ball rolling by whetting the appetite as the name suggests. It is the main course that forms the basis of a filling meal. The dessert forms the icing on the cake by satiating the hunger. The main course always needs much thought and respect when it comes to food.
Here are some fabulously easy and affordable main dish recipes:
French Onion Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped or French green beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 6 oz French’s fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with some cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, combine celery, cheese, sour cream, mayo and cream of chicken. Add the chicken and almonds. Spoon the mixture into the dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the fried onions and cook for another 5 minutes. Let stand for at least 5-10 minutes.
Homemade Chicken Potpie
- 4 frozen buttermilk biscuits
- 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. whole milk
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 c. Matchstick Carrots
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 c. frozen cut green beans
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Biscuits, for serving
- Prepare 4 frozen buttermilk biscuits or scones according to package directions. You can also make fresh buttermilk scones at home.
- Take a large mason jar, add chicken stock, whole milk, flour, and poultry seasoning and shake well to blend it.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onions and carrots in butter, until soft for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat, simmer, stirring often, until thick for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the shredded rotisserie chicken, green beans, and flat-leaf parsley and cook until warm for at least 4 to 5 minutes. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Serve topped with biscuits.
These are two of my favorite easy and affordable main dish. Definitely try these out and make mouthwatering main dishes.