DIY School Supplies:
The onset of spring is not only marked by the lush flowers and leaves that line the streets but also the school ushers in the new academic session. The new academic session is marked by a rush to buy school supplies that are available at the many stationery stores. With time at hand, DIY school supplies can give your academic session a creative start.
DIY Drawstring Backpack
- 1/2 yard of Fabric for the outside, cut two pieces 15” x 15”
- 1/2 yard of Fabric for the lining, cut two pieces 15” x 15”
- Shape-Flex Interfacing, cut two pieces 15” x 15”
- 4 yards of string/trim for the backpack straps
- Fabric solids for the applique
- Hot glue fabric gun
- Two 1” eyelets
- For the crab, a scrap of white felt and 2 black buttons
- Make applique patterns first by tracing the outline of a crab and anchor on tracing paper.
- Mark the outline of the crab and the anchor on the fabric and cut out the outline on the applique solid fabric.
- Now either sew the applique fabric cut-outs on the backpack front piece or use a hot glue gun to glue the applique.
- Sew the white felt on the crab eyes and also sew the black button on the white felt for the eyes of the crab.
- Sew the 2 backpacks outside pieces together leaving the top seam open.
- Press the seams open and clip the corners.
- Sew the backpack lining in a similar manner and place the backpack lining inside the backpack.
- Use a sewing machine to lock the top open seam of the backpack and the backpack lining together.
- Fold the edge of the backpack down to at least 1 inch and stitch along the top seam to form a casing.
- Put the string or ribbon through the casing and your backpack is ready for use.
- Set the eyelet in the bottom corner of the backpack and loop the string through it. Slip a knot to secure the string.
Your DIY School backpack is ready for use. There are numerous other ideas for DIY School supplies. These include the following:
- DIY Pencil cases
- DIY Penguin Notebook cover
- DIY Mermaid clips
- DIY moon clips
The world of DIY offers numerous creative outlets to make your own share of DIY school supplies to make your new academic session even more interesting.