DIY Roti Maker:
Indian roti or Mexican tortillas, making roti is considered to be one of the most difficult jobs in the kitchen. Chopping veggies and cooking is still easy when compared to the skills required to make the perfect “gol” roti. Our mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers would make the perfect roundels that would fluff up in an instant when placed on the stove. Soft chapatis or rotis add flavor to the food. Using a rolling pin or belan and a chakla is not everyone’s cup of tea when it comes to making the perfect roti. But with a DIY roti maker, you can easily make the softest rotis evenly and consistently.
Here is how to make a DIY roti maker:
DIY roti maker
- Wooden board
- Take a 4 cm wooden board and with a compass draw a circle with radius 23 cm.
- Mark the circle neatly with a pencil.
- Take a metallic hinge and place it on the top middle of the board. Mark the outer edges of the metallic hinge with a pencil.
- Take a ruler and mark two lines 12 cm wide from the marked hinge.
- Take another wooden board and mark the same lines along with the circle of the same size as a pencil. Make an identical board as the first one.
- On one board mark another 12 cm wide rectangle with a pencil.
- Take an electric saw and cut the board in the marked outline.
- Get a wooden handle cut from a woodshop and get the boards rubbed and polished.
- Take the two circular boards and mark the holes as per the hinge.
- Screw-in the hinge and even out the rough edges with sandpaper. This helps to smoothen the boards.
- Follow the instructions as given in the video link to get the roti maker going.