Much before the laptop and the touchscreen pads became a household name, the PC ruled. With the PC came the keyboard. The most important part of the computing world was the keyboard. Nowadays, though the laptops and the pads have become a common thing the keyboard hasn’t gone into obscurity. In fact, now you can make your own DIY keyboard easily.
A DIY keyboard requires 6 key components and others, these include
- Mounting plate
- Soldering iron
- Solder sucker
Here’s how you can make your own DIY keyboard:
- Insert all 20 diodes to the Ds, the dark part of the diode should go to the squares, and the light part of the diode should go the circles.
- Installing stabilizers requires accuracy. Align the props with the appropriate holes in the PCB and press them in straight. The plain ends on the stabilizers need to go into the larger PCB holes while the ends with the clips need to go into the smaller holes. Apply a small amount of lubricant to the contact points of the stabilizers.
- Insert the pin headers onto the PCB. Make sure that the long pins, and the diodes are on the same side of the board.
- Install the 4 corner switches and solder them in to keep the plate aligned. Install the bottom row and test fit the keycaps. Solder the switches in place.
- Secure the PCB to the case with screws.
- Place the assembled board into the case and secure the screws. This will hold the board securely.
- Install your keycaps by firmly pressing each one onto the stems of all the switches.
Your DIY keyboard is ready in less than an hour. You can customize the DIY keyboard further too.
Also Read: DIY IR Blaster – Control Any Device Easily