DIY Keratin Treatment:
Keratin treatments dive into the hair follicle and inject porous areas with keratin, an essential hair protein. This chemical process smoothens frizzy hair and makes it appear healthier and shinier. Keratin treatments are temporary and can wash out after a few months. Keratin treatments actually inject the porous parts of your hair with protein, so that it feels smoother. Some treatments may contain a solution that releases formaldehyde when exposed to heat (there are also many new formaldehyde-free options). DIY keratin treatments are possible to do at home too.
Here is a DIY keratin treatment:
Make sure that you are in a well-ventilated room and use gloves and keep the product away from your eyes.
- The smoothing treatment product (such as the Saffron Formaldehyde Free Smoothing Treatment)
- Flat brush
- Blow dryer
- Flat iron
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl, and prepare hair dye brush that you’ll use to apply the product.
- Make sure your hair are completely dry before the DIY keratin treatment.
- Part your hair into a few sections for easier application. Use the brush to apply the mixture to the hair, one section at a time.
- Comb through the hair after application for the hair to absorb the product.
- Put a plastic wrap tightly over hair and wait 50 minutes for the protein to enter the hair strands.
- After 50 minutes, remove the wrap and wash your hair under cold water for 30 seconds only.
- Blow dry your hair thoroughly with a flat brush.
- Using a flat iron, divide the hair into small sections and seal the formula in by running the iron over the hair strands. The temperature of the flat iron should be between 380-450 Fahrenheit / 190-230 Celsius, depending on your hair type.
- Ensure that the sections of hair are small and thin for effective ironing. Let the hair cool.
- Wash your hair with warm water, shampoo, condition and then blow dry. Avoid using shampoos that contain sulfate and sodium as it can reverse the effects of keratin treatment.
DIY keratin treatment can last up to 2 months with proper care. DIY keratin treatments when performed correctly can be very effective too, giving you frizz free and shiny hair.