For the love of jewelry, all of us must possess a jewelry box. Why?? Well for all the hard work that goes in finding the right pieces, collecting them and preserving demands a lot of time and respect. Keeping jewelry in a safe and moisture free environment can prolong the life of your jewelry. And if you don’t own a jewelry box yet, then make one for yourself. DIY jewelry box teaches on how to make a jewelry box to store all your jewelry safely and in an organized manner.
Here’s how you can make yours:
DIY Cigar jewelry box
- Cigar box
- Spackle or wood putty
- Fine sandpaper (220 grit)
- 2 paint brushes, one medium & one small
- White high-gloss paint (any kind)
- 9 foam cylinders
- Hot glue gun
- 9 x 3″ piece of leather
- Knife/ blade
- Mod Podge
- Marbled paper
- Craft wood — Use two pieces, .25 x 9.5 x 3″
- Brass thumb tack
- Wipe down the cigar box with a damp cloth and remove any hardware.
- Lightly sand to remove any grime and wipe clean. Fill any holes with wood putty and let dry.
- Paint the craft wood and the entire box inside out with white paint. Let dry.
- Take out the foam cylinders and glue three end to end and repeat until you have three tall cylinders.
- With a ruler and knife cut a strip of leather about ¾” wide and set aside. Take the remaining leather and cut in three equal strips. Use hot glue gun to wrap each of the strips around the tall cylinders. Let dry.
- Once dry take the measurements of the inside of the box with ruler. On the reverse of the marbled paper create 2 corresponding rectangles- one for the lid and the other for the base.
- Cut out each of the pieces, 10 in all.
- Use Mod Podge and decoupage each piece of paper to its corresponding surface. Let dry completely.
- Glue the leather cylinders in one corner of the box. Measure and cut one piece of craft wood to make a divider. Mod Podge some marbled paper on the piece and glue it in the box.
- Repeat to make a second divider.
- Mark the top of the box lid to place the handle. Take a strip of leather and thumbtack. Fold the leather in half to create a handle securing the ends with glue. Take a thumbtack and push it through the center at the top.
- Reattach the hinges to get your DIY jewelry box going!!
Your DIY jewelry box is ready to store your precious jewelry in place.