Home décor holds the essence of those who inhabit it. A reflection of who you are and what you think. Everyone wants a beautifully done up house with exquisite décor. Everything screaming of your personal taste. A house is transformed into a home the minute home décor steps in. But most times home decoration can be an expensive business until you decide to take the matter into your own hands and go the DIY way. DIY home decor ideas are economical and lend a personal touch to your home.
Here is a bright home décor idea:
DIY mason jar lamp
- 1/2 Gallon Mason Jar
- Painter’s Tape
- Electric Drill
- 1/4″ or 1/2″ Glass Drill Bit
- Pocket Knife
- Acrylic Paint
- Make-A-Lamp Kit
- Screw Driver
- All-purpose Glue (Optional)
- Put the painter’s tape to both the inside and outside of the Mason Jar on what will be the backside of your lamp. Mark the location where you’d like the cord to protrude from.
- Using an electric drill fitted with a glass drill bit, drill a hole in the location you marked in step 1. The trick is not to apply too much pressure while drilling down, just let the drill do the work.
- Once the hole is drilled, remove the painter’s tape on both the inside and outside of the jar, and apply a fresh piece of tape over the hole.
- Paint the inside of the jar with acrylic paint and allow to dry thoroughly.
- pocket knife Would Be The Best to create a rough opening on the center of the lid just large enough to fit the threaded “nipple” (that comes with your lamp kit).
- Thread the wire end of the lamp cord through the hole drilled in the jar and pull it through the mouth of the jar.
- Assemble the lamp kit as per instructions.
- Screw a lightbulb into the socket and plug the lamp in. Top with a small to medium sized lampshade and your DIY mason jar lamp is ready.
Many such ideas abound on the internet which can be adapted according to your requirements and made into DIY home décor ideas.