DIY Essential Oil
Essential oils are basically compounds extracted from plants. These oils capture the plant’s flavor and scent. These essential oils are obtained through a process of distillation (via steam and/or water) or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing. Once the essence is extracted they are combined with a carrier oil and used for various purposes.
These essential oils are either inhaled or diluted and then rubbed on the skin for maximum benefits. These oils are used in aromatherapy extensively. And if you are a DIY lover then you’d be pleased to know that you can extract your own DIY essential oil too.
There are almost 90 types of essential oil with its own unique smell and benefits. Some of the popular ones include peppermint, lavender, chamomile, tea tree, jasmine, rose, lemon, ylang-ylang, sandalwood among many others.
Here is how you can extract your own DIY essential oil.
Extracting using alcohol method:
- Make sure you use a ceramic crock. Pour your vodka or undenatured ethyl alcohol over the botanical that you have chosen to make your oil out of like lilac, basil, etc.
- The botanical should be completely covered by the liquid or the oils will not be extracted.
- Place your glass crock out of the way and allow the mixture to sit for 1-2 days minimum.
- Cover the crock with cheesecloth to allow the mixture to breathe. Let sit for a day or two.
- Gently pour the mixture into a wire strainer, press the botanicals to ensure getting all the oils.
- Add fresh botanicals to the crock and the extracted essence. Let the crock sit for at least 2 days.
- Make sure there is enough alcohol to cover the botanicals.
- Once the oil with the fresh botanicals has completed the 24-48 hour waiting period, you’ll need to pull out your trusty strainer and strain the mixture again.
- Be sure to press the botanicals to be sure that you have extracted every bit of oil that you possibly can.
- Repeat the process if the oil doesn’t match the strong potency that you want. But if you do get the desired essential oil then store the oil properly.
- Place the oil filled crock in the freezer, the cold will congeal the oil on top of the alcohol which can be scraped off the top.
- Place this oil in a glass container and store in a dark cool place.
This DIY essential oil extraction might seem tedious but what you get at the end is a pure unadulterated essential oil that you can use for anything you desire.
Also Read-DIY Useful Gifts