Outdoors are best discovered on a bicycle. You can feel the breeze on your face as you ride through the countryside. And most importantly, a bike doesn’t leave any kind of carbon footprint whatsoever to harm the environment. All you have to do is pedal your way out and the destination is never too far. But many a times the terrain and the distance can impede your bike ride. It is for times like these that the electric bike comes to the rescue. Come to think of it a DIY electric bike is a way in which you can contribute towards saving your Earth and the environment.
An electric bike runs on batteries that can be charged easily. Here is how you can make your own DIY electric bike.
- 750 watt Bafang motor kit. This allows the bike to cruise at 30 mph without pedal input.
- Battery pack of 52 volts 13.5 amps
- Charger that can charge batteries up to 80% or 90% to prolong life.
- The kit comes with the motor battery, sprocket, crank arms, display/computer, charger.
- Remove the bottom bracket. Note that you’ll need special tools for this.
- Install the mid-drive motor unit.
- Install the battery pack mount and battery.
- Install the electronics including the speed sensor on the back wheel, the display unit and throttle on the handlebars.
- Connect all of the electronics.
- The Bafang motor kit has 2 types of electric assistance. Pedal assist and throttle pedal assist which detects when you are pedaling and fires up the motor.
A DIY electric bike makes riding the bike a pleasure allowing you more time on the bike than the car.