The dining table is always the den where all the activity of the house revolves. Be it big or small… it often finds itself at the center of all conversations. And though it sounds like a huge task but you can actually design and make your own DIY dining table.
Here are some incredible DIY dining table ideas:
Pallet Dining Table
plywood the size of your desired table
-an old pallet (or two, depending on how big your table will be)
-legs (I used hair pin legs I bought from here)
- Remove the wood slats from the pallet.
- You need enough pieces to cover your entire table top.
- Place wood slats on the table top in the design you want. Once you have filled the entire table top, mark the edges of the slats and saw off any excess that hangs over the plywood.
- Apply liquid nails to the slats and wiggle them into place.
- Allow this to dry overnight.
- Flip the board over and mark where the legs should go approximately about 1 1/2 inches in from the edge.
- Screw the legs in place.
- You could also adhere with glue first (before the screws) for added support.
- Lightly sand the edges and top.
- You can also add a sealer to fill in the gaps between pallet slates.
- The DIY dining table is ready for use.
And if you still want some more adventure you can try making a dining table out of a wooden door.
DIY dining table out of a wooden door
- (1) 4 x 4 x 10
- (1) 2 x 4 x 4
- (1) 2 x 4 x 10
- (1) 2 x 4 x 12
- A box of #8 3 inch wood screws
- An old door
- A piece of glass
- Rubber stoppers
- Cut the 4 x 4 post in (4) 30 inch sections
Cut the 2 x 4 x 10 into (1) 69 inch piece and (2) 24 inch pieces.
Cut the 2 x 4 x 4 (2) 21 inch pieces.
Cut the 2 x 4 x 12 into (1) 69 inch piece and (3) 21 inch pieces.
The 21 inch pieces will be the inside supports. Adjust the measurements according to your door size.
- Lay out both of your cut 2 x 4’s that are 69 inches and the
(2) cut 2 x 4’s that are 24 inches so that they make a box. The
69 inch pieces should butt into the 24 inch pieces so that the
box measures 6 feet x 2 feet.
- Place a 4 x 4 in each corner. Square off the two pieces and
screw each corner into your 4 x 4 with the 3 inch screws.
- Butt a 2 x 4 that was cut to 21 inches up next to the inside
of the 4 x 4 post on both ends and screw them in. Your 4 x
4 should now be sandwiched by the 21 inch & 24 inch 2 x 4
with the 69 inch 2 x 4 on the outside.
- Take the remaining (3) 21 inch 2 x 4 pieces; place one in the
middle of the table and the other two between that one and
the end of the table frame. Screw them all in with the 3 inch
screws, at least 2 screws on each board on both sides.
- Turn the table base upright, and screw the door to the table
base. You can use the 3 inch screws and screw in from the
top or you can get some longer screws and come in from the
bottom, but pre-drill the holes.
- Get some glass cut from your local glass store to the exact
size of your door.
- Your DIY dining table with an old door is ready.
These DIY dining table ideas will give you more family time and memories for life.
Also Read: DIY Metal Roofing In Few Easy Steps