CDS Exam Pattern And Syllabus:
The Combined Defense Services Examination is conducted for recruitment of officers in the three arms of the forces which include the Indian Army, Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy. The CDS exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) biannually in the months of February and September. The CDS exam pattern and syllabus will help candidates prepare for the exam in a methodical manner.
Date of start of registration of application: 30th October 2019
Last date to submit completed application: 19th November 2019
Date of CDS examination: 2nd February 2020
Date of declaration of result: April 2020
CDS exam pattern:
- The CDS exam is a pen and paper based offline examination.
- The exam is conducted in 2 sessions held in the morning and forenoon.
- The exam consists of multiple choice objective questions.
- The CDS exam consists of 3 papers which includes General Knowledge, English Language and Elementary Mathematics.
- Candidates applying for Air Force Academy (AFA), Indian Military Academy (IMA) and Naval Academy (NA) have to attempt all the 3 papers.
- Candidates applying for Officer’s Training Academy (OTA) have to attempt the General knowledge and English paper only.
- The medium of the exam is English/ Hindi.
- The total duration of the exam is 2 hours / 120 minutes each.
- Each paper consists of 100 questions each.
- The total weightage of the paper is 100 marks each.
- The marking scheme is as follows:
- Correct answer: +1 marks
- Incorrect answer: -1/3rd marks will be deducted.
|Subjects||No. of questions (MCQs)||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|General Knowledge||120||100||120 minutes|
|English Language||120||100||120 minutes|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||100||120 minutes|
CDS exam syllabus:
The CDS exam consists of 3 papers. These include the following:
- General Knowledge
- English Language
- Elementary Mathematics
The syllabus for the CDS exam is as follows:
- Economy and trade
- Sentence improvement
- Reading comprehension
- One word substitution
- Para jumble
- Sentence jumble
- Cloze test
- Spot the error
- Mean, Mode and Median (Frequency distribution table)
- Time, speed and distance
- Number system
- Simple interest / compound interest
- Profit and loss
- Time and work
- Set theory
For any further details regarding CDS exam pattern and syllabus check the website at www.upsc.gov.in .