Affordable DIY Privacy Fence:
A privacy fence is a great way to enjoy your time out in the sun in the front yard or the backyard and yet maintain your privacy from prying eyes. A fence can be brought from the store or can be made the DIY way. And if you’re not the laggard, then grab all your tools to make an affordable DIY privacy fence from scratch.
Here is how you can make an affordable DIY privacy fence all by yourself:
- (6) 2×4, 96″, Wooden Board
- (6) 1×6, 96″, Wooden Board
- (4) 1×4, 96″, Wooden Board
- (24) 2″ Kreg Screws (coarse thread)
- (108) 2″ finishing nails OR nail gun nailers
- (4) Hinges (3.5″ with 5/8″ radius)
- (1) Wood Glue
- (1) Wood Sealer
- (2) Wood Stain (two colors are optional)
- Cut all the pieces of wood to size, use the cut list for reference. Sand all the pieces of wood to even out any rough edges.
- Place all the 2″x4″ cut wood pieces on a level ground to check the framework. The long 60″ boards will make for the vertical sides, and the shorter cuts (17″ and 36″) of wooden boards will be placed horizontally between the long pieces. The top horizontal pieces will be placed flush inside the 60″ boards, and the bottom will mark 6 1/4″ from the bottom to create feet to make three separate frames.
- Drill two pocket holes into the side of the 17″ and 36″ horizontal boards of the frame.
- Secure the horizontal boards to the vertical 60″ frame boards using 2″ Kreg screws. It is advisable to use wood glue on the joining frame before attaching with screws.
- Using a wood stain and sealer, color and seal the frame, and the remaining wooden slats. Color all the sides of the wooden slats, including the ends. Let it dry completely.
- Lay the three frames on an even surface to attach the privacy slats in the front. Place the frame pocket-hole side upward.
- At the top of the frame, attach the wooden planks, interchanging between 1″x4″ and 1″x6″ slats. Start with the smaller 1″x4″ slat, level with the top, and fix it to the frame. Measure one inch between planks to get a 1″x6″ plank level with the bottom 2″x4″ of the frame. The feet of the privacy fence will stick out at the bottom.
Your affordable DIY privacy fence is ready for use. Place it on the patio or the front yard for complete privacy from the outside world.