Affordable DIY Mother’s Day Gifts:
Though the day 10th of May is celebrated as Mother’s Day, I believe that every day of the calendar year is a day to celebrate motherhood. Each day begins with the silent effort of the mother and ends with her euphoric banter about her family. But mother’s day demands a little extra effort from the kids and other family members in the house. You don’t have to buy expensive gifts for mother’s day, she will be happy with a small note scribbled with “I Love you” too.
To make small joys big, make some affordable DIY mother’s day gifts for your mom:
DIY Homemade Ceramic coasters
- 4×4 white ceramic tiles
- 5 x 5 photos
- Mod Podge (glossy or matte as per your choice)
- Sponge brush (for mod podge)
- Clear acrylic spray
- Small felt circles
- Get the printouts of the photographs that you want on the ceramic coasters.
- Once the photos are ready trim them down to 3.25 x 3.75″size.
- Wipe clean the tile and dry it out properly. Run a little sandpaper on the tile to make it a little rough as this will hold the mod podge better.
- Take a sponge brush and paint a thin coat of Mod Podge on the back of the photo. Gently, place the photo on the ceramic tile, leaving a 1/4″ border around the top and two sides, and a 1″ border at the bottom.
- Even out the photo with a credit card or something similar. Take care to not let the photo slide around on the tile. Allow it to dry.
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge with the sponge brush over the entire tile, photo included. Ensure that you use even, straight brush strokes. Allow it to dry completely. The Mod Podge looks white when applied but becomes clear when it dries.
- Repeat the previous step two or three more times to get a strong coat on the photo. Let dry between each coat.
- Once dried, spray the tile with a coat of clear acrylic spray. This makes the coaster water-resistant.
- Glue the felt pads to the bottom corners of the ceramic tile to protect your tabletops.
- Allow setting for at least 3-4 days before using the ceramic coasters.
Show all your love and appreciation with this sweet affordable DIY mother’s day gift to your mom.