Affordable DIY Dog Food:
The biggest worry for any pet owner is a steady supply of nutritious food. A well-fed dog will be cheerful and up to play always. Good eating habit help get a healthy pet with a shiny coat and zero health issues. But dog food can be an expensive bargain. A homemade DIY dog food recipe is definitely affordable and easy to monitor.
Here are some affordable DIY dog food recipes to make at home:
Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oats (optional if your dog is on a grain-free diet, substitute an extra 1/4 cup grain-free flour)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, brown rice flour or gluten-free flour
- 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Makes approximately 24 treats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the flour, oats, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, peanut butter, and pumpkin puree in a large bowl separately. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mix.
- Mix the dough well and pour it onto a floured surface. Roll the dough out to about 1/2″ thick square. Cut out the cookies using a cookie cutter.
- Add a little dusting of flour on the rolling pin, surface and your hands as the dough will be a little sticky.
- Bake the cookies for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on cooling racks and allow the cookies to cool thoroughly. The cookies will harden as they cool.
- Treat your dog to some delicious pumpkin cookies.
- Nutritional Info (per 1 biscuit serving):
- Calories: 27
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Fat: 1.5g
- Carbs: 2.8 g
- Minerals & Vitamins: Vitamin D, Iron
Chicken, Rice And Veggie Mix
- 6 cups of water
- 1 pound ground turkey/chicken
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 16 ounces broccoli, carrots and cauliflower
Makes approx. 12 cups
- Place the water, ground turkey/ chicken, rice and rosemary into a large Dutch oven or skillet.
- Stir the mix well, until the ground turkey/ chicken is broken up and evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- On high heat, bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes till cooked.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Serve immediately or you can also refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Nutritional Info (per 1 cup serving):
- Calories: 97
- Protein: 11 g
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbs: 4.7 g
- Minerals & Vitamins: Iron, Potassium
These affordable DIY dog food recipes can be made easily and dogs love to eat homemade fresh food unlike store-bought food.
Also Read: DIY Affordable Solar Frames You Easily Make